May 31st is World No Tobacco Day! Interested in learning how quitting commercial tobacco can improve your health? Check out these five facts:
- Quitting improves your health right away. If you quit smoking or chewing commercial tobacco, your health will improve right away! Your heart and lungs will be healthier within 24 hours of your last cigarette and your body will be stronger. You will reduce the chance of having a heart attack and developing lung disease.
- Quitting for one day could win you $250. Not quite ready to quit? Maybe commit to quitting for a day. You could stop smoking or chewing tobacco for one day and enter to win the $250 cash prize. On June 5th and the first Tuesday of every month you can enter to win at Tobacco Free Tuesdays!
- Food will taste better. Food will taste better and you will feel more energetic. You may be interested in developing a healthier lifestyle with better food choices and exercise. Check out the Northern Health Matters blog for healthy ideas!
- Physical activity will help you manage cravings and withdrawal symptoms. You may have tried to quit before and had difficulty dealing with the urge to smoke. Physical activity will help you manage cravings and withdrawal symptoms.
- Free support is available. Nicotine patches, gum, lozenges or inhalers can also help reduce withdrawal. You can access 12 weeks of nicotine products through the BC Smoking Cessation Program. Talk to your pharmacist to get your first 4 weeks. You can also access free counselling through QuitNow services by phone, text, or email. Check out QuitNow.ca for resources and an on-line community.