Did you know that today is Dietitians Day in Canada?
Now, I might be a little biased, but I think Registered Dietitians (RDs) are pretty awesome. We get to work in a job where we talk about something that everyone can identify with – food! We love to share our tips on healthy eating, as well as celebrate the social and cultural roles that food plays in all of our lives. We can help people manage chronic conditions and advocate for everyone to have access to nutritious and delicious foods. And you'll find us working not only in health care, but in the community, with business, and in private practice, too!
Many of our Northern Health dietitians regularly share healthy eating tips and delicious recipes as part of the Foodie Friday feature on the blog. So it was easy to get my fellow RDs (and RDs-to-be) to share their "Dietitian Pro Tips" for Dietitians Day and Nutrition Month. Check them out below, and if you are hungry for more, make sure to check out the #DietitianProTip hashtag on Twitter!
What's your #DietitianProTip to stay on track?
- Shelly (Haida Gwaii): Eat breakfast every day!
- Karli (Dietetic Intern): Keep your fruit bowl stocked for quick out-the-door snacks!
- Courtenay (Prince George): Cook extra for supper for a quick lunch the next day.
- Erin (Prince George) offered two tips: (1) Menu plan on the weekend to avoid stressful workday evenings. (2) Keep trail mix at your desk to get over the mid-afternoon slump.
- Tamara (Dietetic Intern) had three great tips: (1) Get your greens! Add spinach to your smoothies. (2) Eat two different coloured vegetables today! (3) Busy day? Choose fish or eggs for quick cooking protein options.
- Elaine (Dawson Creek) also had two tips: (1) Skip sugary drinks! Choose water to quench your thirst. (2) Want a healthy heart? Eat more beans, lentils, and legumes.
- Carly (Prince George): Turn off the technology and tune in to your meal! Listen to your fullness cues.
- Lindsay (Prince George): Challenged by large portions? Try eating from small bowls, plates and cups.
- Marianne (Prince George): Plan for success! Make a weekly meal plan and grocery shopping list.
- Amy (Prince George): Save time in the morning! Pack your lunch the night before.
Celebrate Nutrition Month and Dietitians Day by sharing your favourite healthy eating tip in the comments!