It seems like only yesterday we welcomed a brand new year and now January is already gone!
With the hectic activity of our day-to-day lives, it sometimes feels as if life is gliding on by, like an ice skater on a frozen northern B.C. lake. Thankfully, a few years ago, the British Columbia government decided that we all could use a break in early February to rest, relax and have fun with family and friends. The aptly named "Family Day" statutory holiday is observed on the second Monday in February. This year, it falls on Monday, February 8.
You may already have some ideas about how to spend your day off. Maybe you'll catch some extra zzz’s or take the family out to one of those frozen northern B.C. lakes for some skating, hockey or ice fishing. Whatever you decide, remember that one of the best ways to have fun with family and friends is with food!
Research has shown that families who prepare and eat meals (or even snacks) together are healthier; they have lower risk of depression, lower rates of obesity, and their children generally have higher self-esteem and better academic performance – to name just a few benefits. If you're interested in learning more about the benefits of family meals, check out The Family Dinner Project. Get your whole family into the kitchen by asking your kids to wash vegetables, measure broth, set the table or (maybe for older kids) chop like a MasterChef!
This Family Day, plan to make and enjoy something delicious with your family and friends like these Carrot Coconut Pineapple Muffins. They're perfect served warm out of the oven with a mug of hot tea or cocoa after a day spent gliding on a cold and frozen lake.
Carrot Coconut Pineapple Muffins
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (or dairy if you prefer)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 can (398 mL or 14 oz) crushed pineapple (including liquid)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin pan or line with paper baking cups.
- Combine milk and flax seeds in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, coconut, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix in shredded carrot, until all coated.
- Add pineapple, coconut oil and vanilla to milk/flax mixture and stir until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined – lumps are okay!
- Divide the batter evenly in the muffin cups and bake for 22 – 25 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from tin and cool on a wire rack.