More time playing outside means less time spent in the kitchen
The sun is shining, the temperatures are rising, and it finally feels like summer is just around the corner! The longer days mean that there is plenty of time to enjoy an outdoor adventure after work, or a BBQ with friends and family.
For me, a new puppy at home has made life that much more exciting (and busy)! Many of my evenings are spent romping in our backyard. In true puppy form, our little Arlo adores ripping up moss, jumping in our strawberry patch, and digging in the dirt. Our poor little strawberry plants!
I've also noticed that more time playing outside means less time spent in the kitchen. Luckily, I know that eating well does not need to be fancy or complicated. Takes wraps, for example! They are one of my favourite on-the-go meals and I've been enjoying them a lot lately. With so many combinations to choose from, this super quick and easy meal is sure to be a family favourite.
To get started, try building your own wrap by mixing and matching items from the following categories:
- Wrap: tortilla, pita, or roti (a type of flatbread popular in India). Choose whole wheat wraps for added fibre and nutrition.
- Protein: canned or cooked fish, eggs, chicken, turkey, pork, or beef (I like using leftover hamburger patties or roast chicken), shrimp, hummus, beans, or tofu.
- Toppings: lettuce, spinach (I often buy the ready-to-eat bags), shredded carrots, avocado, sliced red peppers, cucumber, tomatoes, onions, apple, or pineapple.
- Cheese (optional): cheddar, mozzarella, feta, cottage cheese, or another favourite.
- Condiments: mayo, mustard, pesto, salsa, hot sauce, etc.
Here are just a few of my favourite wrap/pita combos:
- Jarred or smoked fish, lettuce, cucumber, and mayo
- Hardboiled egg, chopped green onion, tomato, and mayo
- Black beans or leftover ground meat, cheddar cheese, and red pepper with salsa and Greek yogurt
- Chicken or turkey, sliced apples, cheese, spinach, and honey mustard
Dilly Salmon Wraps
- 1 cup salmon (jarred, canned, or leftover salmon fillet)
- 4 large whole wheat tortilla wraps
- Veggies of your choice (I used lettuce and red peppers)
- Cheese of your choice (optional)
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp dry or 1 tsp fresh dill
- Mix the Greek yogurt, mayo, lemon juice, and dill.
- Combine salmon with dilly sauce and mix well (you will probably have leftover sauce — it makes a great veggie dip, too!)
- Spoon salmon mixture onto each wrap and top with veggies and cheese of your choice.
- Fold in sides and roll tortilla up tightly.
You can serve this meal family-style: just prepare all the toppings and let kids (and adults) choose their own veggies and condiments. What fun!