Have you got your bike out yet? As the roads clear from snow and gravel, the hustle and bustle of exciting spring activities overwhelms us, and Bike to Work/School Week is a perfect start to the bike season ahead! It’s so easy to get started:
- Get the bikes out
- Dust them off
- Check tires and brakes
- Put on the helmets
- Go for a ride!
‘It’s like riding a bike’…….right
Thinking about bike season, I couldn’t help but think of the good times I had as a child, biking with my friends and family.
One of my favourite events during the spring in elementary school was the Bike Rodeo! I remember riding my purple bike to school for the rodeo and being so excited to decorate my bike, learn road safety, and ensure my helmet fit perfectly (yes, you can see in the photo that I wore a hockey helmet!). Different stations were set up all around the school with prizes to be won at each: one for helmet fitting, one for road safety, one for bike maintenance, and my favourite one, decorating! I would add decorations to the spokes that made a sweet rhythmic sound as the wheels turned, streamers to the handle bars that flowed in the wind, and any type of glitz, glam or balloons that could make me sparkle in the sun; and then I couldn’t wait to ride my bike around the neighbourhood. When it was all done, we rode through obstacle courses to practice our road skills and safety. Oh my, I get excited just thinking about this again! I rode around all summer with my perfectly decorated bike.
Biking is healthy, low impact, cost effective, good for the environment and FUN. Families and schools can help support safe and active transportation for children and youth on bikes. Here are a few tips to get involved and stay safe:
- Teach road safety: ICBC offers free road safety educational materials for grades k-10 to teach road safety skills and awareness.
- Register your school for Bike to School Week: prepare school activities like a Bike Rodeo, celebration stations, or have a school-wide competition.
- Have Spirit the Cariboo join your school: share your school experience for Bike to School Week with us at Northern Health (Healthy.Schools@northernhealth.ca) for a chance to have Spirit the Cariboo celebrate International Walk to School (IWALK) Month in October 2018.
- Explore your surroundings: check out your city/community website for bike routes, trails, and activities. Plan a safe route for travel and always wear a helmet - it’s the LAW.
- Be bike smart: Get your free BikeSense Manual for road safety, bike maintenance, helmet fitting, and more.
- Support your child’s school in preparing for Bike to School Week: Parents/PACs can help plan school events for BTSW, start a school or classroom team, or organize a bicycle train.
Get out and enjoy the spring, summer, and fall ahead. Bike to Work/School Week is May 28- June 3 2018, so get those bikes out, start or join a team, and log all of your kilometres to win great prizes from GoByBikeBC.