The sun is shining, the days are getting longer, and across Northern BC, patio furniture and mosquito lanterns are being hauled out of storage. Patios and lounging tend to go hand-in-hand with snacking so this summer, consider including some healthy choices to go alongside your patio snack favourites!
Here are some of my favourite patio snacks:
- Air popped and lightly seasoned popcorn: Popcorn is a whole grain and can be easily flavoured with spices from your own cabinet – try garlic or onion powder, dill, paprika or even nutritional yeast.
- Cheese and crackers: With so many interesting varieties to choose from, get creative with this simple platter. Try a new cheese from the deli (or just go with standard cheddar) and stock up on whole grain crackers.
- Fruit skewers: Cool, crisp and refreshing fruit can be artfully arranged on bamboo barbecue sticks for individual serving, no-bowl-needed, patio snacks.
- Guacamole and chips: For a variation on the traditional stuff, try this fruity summer guacamole from one of my favourite cookbooks, Oh She Glows by Angela Liddon.
- Hummus and pitas: Hummus is protein-rich and easy to make at home with a blender or food processor and it pairs perfectly with oven-toasted pita triangles.
- Veggie tray: Consider making your own at home with your favourite veggies, or keep it real simple and pick one up from the produce department of your local grocery store.
Strawberry Mango Guacamole
Adapted from Oh She Glows
- 2 medium avocados, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 fresh mango, pitted, peeled, and finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped hulled strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 to 2 tbsp fresh lime juice, to taste
- Pinch of salt
- Corn chips, for serving
- Combine all ingredients except for the corn chips in a bowl.