Rapid COVID-19 tests (rapid antigen tests) are now available as take-home kits at some Northern Health testing centres for people with symptoms, in addition to PCR testing. The type of test a person receives will be based on their symptoms and risk factors. Here’s some info that you need to know:
- Those seeking testing should start by filling out the NH COVID-19 Test Booking Form, calling the Northern Health Virtual Primary & Community Care Clinic, or contacting their health care provider, and then they will be directed to a testing centre for either PCR testing, or to pick up a rapid test for home use, based on their symptoms and risk.
- All rapid antigen tests used in BC have been scientifically validated and are safe and effective in detecting COVID-19, particularly among those who are symptomatic.
- Those who receive a rapid antigen test are provided with instructions for self-reporting a positive result, self-isolation, managing symptoms, and notifying their contacts. They do not require additional testing to confirm their test result.
- We want to remind people COVID-19 testing is not recommended if you have no symptoms, or if you have mild symptoms, are fully vaccinated, and can manage your illness at home.
- People without symptoms who require testing for travel purposes can find a private test site here (on the BCCDC site).
For more direction on using rapid tests, contact tracing and what to do after testing positive, visit the BCCDC - Rapid antigen testing for COVID-19.
Northern Health appreciates the continued cooperation, patience, and support of our Northern BC communities! And we want to extend our sincere thanks to our staff providing testing services.