Small, remote communities across British Columbia and Canada are coming up with innovative, community-based solutions to respond to the challenges emerging from the COVID-19 pandemic. These initiatives work to ensure community residents – especially those who are more vulnerable – stay connected and supported during these challenging times.
Stories of community resilience during COVID-19
- In Queen Charlotte, Charlotte’s Wellness Helpers check in by phone with residents on a weekly basis to find out if people need support, and to make connections with local resources.
- In Smithers, the municipality set up a wellness camp where the homeless population can self-isolate and access social service agencies.
- In Fort St. John, Peace Villa’s Long Term Care Home staff are keeping residents connected to families by setting up FaceTime/Zoom calls, and by reaching out to families directly to let them know about changes and options.
- In Terrace, School District 52 sends grocery budget funding to schools for direct distribution to families needing support.
- In Prince George, a campaign to connect people by making and looking for hearts on windows has gone global.
- In Sandspit, Gale Force Indoor Cycle used proceeds from its by-donation Karma Cycle classes to buy over a dozen Easter dinners for seniors isolated at home.
- In Lethbridge, AB, volunteers delivered postcards through neighbourhoods to residents without internet to share information and resources.
- In Nunavik, QC, Inukjuak Hunters are harvesting caribou to support community food supply.
Municipalities around the world are using their resources for temporary lane and road closures to support safe physical distancing, and to promote active transportation. The Province of BC has released resources to help BC municipalities to do the same.
Have you heard of other community stories?
If you know of other Northern BC communities that are responding to COVID-19 related challenges with innovative, community-based solutions, we’d love to share these stories! Email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.