Despite the global shift to pandemic management, the hard work of capital planning and project work has continued. Northern Health capital projects have remained on-schedule and high-priority for the health care needs of communities across the North. Here’s a brief summary of high-level projects currently on the go:
Dawson Creek and District Hospital (DCDH)
- Northern Health is currently in the business case planning phase for DCDH. Part of that planning requires some pre-engineering and testing work on the site, a portion of which will take place on the northwest corner of the Northern Lights College (NLC) property. NLC is supportive of this work and the disruption will be minimal.
G.R. Baker Memorial Hospital, Quesnel
- We’re nearing completion of the early-works phase of construction for the G.R. Baker Memorial Hospital expansion project.
- Construction for the main build (Phase II) is anticipated to begin this Summer (2020).
- Northern Health, a contracted archaeologist, representatives from the Ministry of Citizen Services, and local First Nations are continuing dialogue and oversight during the respectful examination of human remains found on the grounds of the building site. Northern Health is aware of the significance of this land to local First Nations and is working with representatives.
Mills Memorial Hospital (MMH)
- The MMH replacement project is on-schedule.
- The request for qualifications (RFQ) process resulted in one qualified respondent.
- Government has approved the MMH project to proceed with a modified request for proposal (RFP) process with the goal of executing a design build agreement (DBA).
- Northern Health is working with the Province of BC to ensure the RFP evaluation is conducted with rigor and care.
- The modified RFP process ensures significant oversight from the Province and the Project Board, and provides assurance that evaluation will result in optimal builder and design selection.
Stuart Lake Hospital
- On April 9, the request for qualifications (RFQ) process for the new Stuart Lake Hospital was initiated and went live on BC Bid. This RFQ ran to June 18, with the request for proposals (RFP) projected to open for those shortlisted in Fall 2020.
- The project will be procured using a progressive design-build (progressive DB) model to provide value for taxpayers’ dollars and to leverage private sector innovation and expertise.
Granisle Health Centre
- Northern Health is exploring long-term plans for provision of health care in Granisle, and we’re committed to the continuity of existing services in the community. At this time, the Ministry of Citizens’ Services is seeking solutions to temporarily retain the current space while exploring opportunities for a permanent long-term solution within Babine Elementary Secondary School.
- Northern Health and School District 91 are working together to confirm a permanent, long-term solution within the school.
- The project is in the design-tender phase in the hopes that construction of that space could begin in July 2020.