Northern Health and the First Nations Health Authority continue to work with Council of the Haida Nation and municipal governments on Haida Gwaii, in response to the COVID-19 community outbreak declared on July 24th. To date, there have been a total of 26 lab-confirmed cases related to the outbreak; as of today, all of the cases are now considered recovered, and there are no active cases.
Northern Health public health staff has followed up with numerous close contacts of lab-confirmed cases, and as of today all of those contacts have completed their self-isolation periods. NH continues to encourage all Haida Gwaii residents to continue to self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19, and to self-isolate and seek testing in the event they develop symptoms by contacting their primary care provider or the NH COVID-19 Online Clinic & Info Line (1-844-645-7811).
While all of the outbreak-related cases and contacts have recovered and/or completed their self-isolation requirements, there may be other individuals who are self-isolating for a variety of reasons, such as being in compliance with Haida Gwaii State of Emergency requirements for anyone returning to Haida Gwaii.
Community outbreak measures remain in place. Haida Gwaii residents are encouraged to continue to work together and support each other in preventing the spread of COVID-19. Public health officials will be monitoring the situation carefully over coming weeks and will declare the outbreak over when they are confident that chains of transmission have been stopped.
Recent increases in COVID-19 transmission in many parts of BC have been linked to social gatherings and events in communities. It is important that everyone in BC focus on ensuring safe social gatherings; limiting group sizes and keeping track of who attends.
There are many things you can do to help prevent additional cases of COVID-19 on Haida Gwaii. We continue to encourage all community members to:
- Stay home as much as possible
- Get tested if you are have any COVID-19 symptoms or are feeling sick
- Maintain physical distancing
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Wear a mask when physical distancing cannot be maintained
Have Safe Gatherings:
- Fewer faces in bigger spaces. Limit your gatherings to small groups and hold them outside
- Keep gatherings to people you know and keep track of who attends, so we can contact them if someone gets infected. If you host a gathering, you are expected to have the names and contact information of those that attend
- Limiting gathering size in private residences to six people
- Maintain the confidentiality of those who are sick or who are contacts
- Show support and caring to those who are sick or who are contacts
Media Contact: NH media line: 1-877-961-7724